The WORLD BRAIN TUMOR DAY is observed on June 8 each year in order to draw people’s attention globally towards the disease of brain tumor. It is also observed to spread awareness regarding its prevention and treatment.
German Brain Tumor Association (DEUTSCHE HIMTUMORHILFE e.V) a non profit organisation first marked this day in the year 2000 to spread the awareness about the brain tumor. The aim was to direct public attention to people suffering from this serious disease and the urgent need for some more research.
WHAT IS BRAIN TUMOR ?
Brain tumor is a condition in which an abnormal tissues growth in the brain causes impairment of brain function. The brain tumor can be malignant (cancerous) or benign ( non-cancerous). Further, there are primary brain tumors and secondary brain tumors.
• PRIMARY BRAIN TUMORS – These tumors start in brain and grow on the grades 1 to 4 depending upon its location and how fast the cells multiply and spread to other organ.
• SECONDARY BRAIN TUMORS – These are cancerous tumors that are spread to the brain from another part of the body. This case is more common in people suffering from conditions such as leukemia , lung cancer , breast cancer , etc.
CAUSE : –
Brain tumor has not associated with any specific causative factor, except for exposure to ionizing radiation and a few familiar genetic conditions.
SYMPTOMS : –
• Persistent severe headache associated with nausea or vomiting.
• Blurring or dimming the vision.
• Excessive sleepiness
• Loss of memory
• Hearing loss or facial deviation
• Difficulty in talking
DIAGNOSIS : –
CT scan and MRI scan of the brain are the tests of choice to diagnose brain tumors. In certain cases , the patient may be further investigated with whole body PET CT scan or ANGIOGRAPHY.
HOW CAN IT BE TREATED ?
Treatment depends of many factors such as type, location , clinical status of the patient. However , apart from certain medication to manage the symptoms , the main treatment of the condition involves surgery into which the tumor removed safely with microsurgical techniques.
Other treatment includes:
Brain tumor can cause mental , physical and financial burden on the pateint and the family . Early diagnosis and treatment are the key to a good outcome.