Changes in sleeping pattern or habits that can negatively affect health. Whether you have occasional trouble sleeping or you are living with a sleep disorder, you can get quality sleep and learn to better manage your condition.
Sleep disorders are a group of condition that affect the ability to sleep well on a regular basis. Whether they are caused by a health problem or by too much stress, sleep disorders are becoming common in the world.
1. INSOMNIA – Insomnia is the term for a difficulty getting to sleep or staying asleep. There are two different types of insomnia :
● Transient or short- term – This type of insomnia often occur in the aftermath of a stressful life event. It can also happen if your work shifts or have jet lag. You might be unable to relax , experience disturbed sleep and may be unable to pinpoint any real reason for your inability to sleep.
● Chronic Insomnia – chronic Insomnia is often occurs when you experiencing non- restorative sleep, having difficulty falling asleep and maintaining sleep for at least I month and you feel exhausted during the day.
These are various reasons you can develop insomnia :
• Poor sleep hygiene
• Sleep related breathing disorder
• Medical condition
• Disrupted sleep wake schedule
• Limb movements during sleep
• Circadian rhythm disorder
2. SLEEP APNEA – Sleep Apnea is a serious yet common sleep disorder. Your airways repeatedly becomes blocked , and you will stop breathing. When this occurs , you might make choking noises or will snore loudly. You may find this happend once or twice a night.
3. NARCOLEPSY – Narcolepsy causes you to suddenly fall asleep at any time no matter where you are. You fall sleep uncontrollably during unusual circumstances, such a while eating. You experience cataplexy ( temporary loss of muscle control that makes you feel weak or could make you collapse) cataplexy is usually a response to emotions like anger or laughter.
4. RESTLESS LEGS SYNDROME – Restless Legs Syndrome presents as an uncontrollable urge or desire to move your legs while you are resting. You feel some sensation or ache in your legs. You could experience unpleasant aching , tingling , burning and a feeling that something is crawling in your calves.
5. RESTLESS SLEEP BEHAVIOUR DISORDER – When you have REM , you act out your dreams while you sleep you lack the muscle paralysis most people while asleep.
TREATMENTS FOR SLEEP DISORDER : –
Medications tailored to your own specific needs are prescribed, for instance, if anxiety or depression are the underlying cause of your condition. Your physician may prescribed you with antidepressants or anti anxiety medications.
Medication for sleep can be used as well but are typically prescribed to be used on a short – term or as needed basis.
Non – medical methods , such as cognitive behavior therapy, hypnosis, restriction, stimulus control and relaxation techniques, can also be used to treat insomnia.
Lifestyle changes , such as avoiding caffeine and alcohol , are also advised.