Cold storage is a necessity for many foods,but the chilly air of the fridge can have the negative effect on some healthy favourites. Keep these foods at their best by keeping them out of the fridge.
Today on food safety day read all food items that you should never store in your refrigerator and stop it from ruining and the wastage of food.
• BREAD – Bread dries out and goes much more quickly in the fridge and cause it to turn tough and chewy. You are probably been storing your bread in the refrigerator up until now, but time to change. Try storing it in a room temperature. A bread bin or bread bags would be a great start.
• WATERMELON – There is nothing like biting into cold melon to cool you down on a summer’s day. Storing melon in cold temperature can have a chilling effect on its nutrition value by affecting its level of antioxidant activity. It is best to keep them out a the fruit rack.
• TOMATOES – Refrigerating tomatoes actually damages the membrane inside the fruit , altering the taste and texture. The tomatoes will lose flavors and will probably taste a bit watery and unripe. You can store them in the refrigerator in plastic bags but remember to leave them out for at least half an hour to bring them back to room temperature before using.
• HONEY – There is no need to place honey in the refrigerator. It can stay smooth and fresh even when stored outside, but make sure it is tightly sealed. In fact, keeping it in the refrigerator may lead to crystallization.
• ONIONS – Apprantely onions to nest in dry well ventilated areas. Unpeeled onions require air and exposure to survive. If you store in the refrigerator, they may end up turning mushy and soft due to the moisture. Remember to keep them in a dark place and away from light or place them in paper bags with holes in it instead reflecting.
• NUTS AND DRY FRUITS – A lot of people store nuts and fry fruits in the fridge to prevent them from going acid, but it may actually do more harm than good. Storing in cold temperature can ruin their nutty flavour and they may also end up absorbing the other odours lurking in the fridge. Place them in airtight containers and leave them out.
• POTATOES – Refrigerate or store in the fridge, the starch in the potato is converted to sugar. When packed or fried, these sugar combine with the amino acid and produce chemical , which is thought to be harmful.
• CAKE – Your cake will taste much better if it’s not so cold. Too keep it fresh , secure it in an airtight container for three to seven days, of course , if the cake is topped or filled with cream. You will need to refrigerate it. For more baking tips read genuine hacks for perfect cakes every time.